ACPA NSW Section Presents
Helping People: Could you be doing it better?
An Experiential Workshop
by Simon Turmanis
Principal Clinical Psychologist + Clinical Director
Simon Turmanis & Associates
Thursday 28 February to Friday 1 March 2019
9am to 4:30pm
Venue: Rydges Sydney Central
28 Albion Street, Surry Hills
Early Bird Rates:
ACPA Members $350
ACPA Student Members $200
Non-ACPA Members $450
+30c booking fee
Early Bird Ends 31 January 2019 – Registration Fee includes Catering
ACPA Members $450
ACPA Student Members $300
Non-ACPA Members $550
Enquiries: Dana Mitrovic
How well are you doing it?
As a therapist, naturally you want to help people. The key question is how we can do that well in each and every session, with a diverse range of clients with an even wider variety of expectations, presentations and personality styles.
In this 2-day explorative workshop, you will learn more about yourself, as a person and as a therapist, through experiential exercises, role plays, mindful observing and reflective exercises conducted individually, in pairs and in small groups. You will explore and learn about your own internal scripts, expectations and hopes for how you think you are “supposed to be” as a therapist.
From the moment you greet your clients to the final session, how you think your different clients should interact with you in therapy both in the room and in their lives between sessions, what you think is the value of therapy as a whole, and the various components of therapy, will be explored in order to help you help your clients better.
- Get to know and better bring to conscious awareness your internal scripts and stories, expectations and behaviours about the process of therapy, you as a therapist and your clients.
- Develop greater connection with your Wise, Compassionate and Observing self. Reassuring you to better manage these internal scripts, slow down and be more present.
- Challenge your perception of what “good therapy” and “good treatment outcomes” may be. – Help reduce your focus on symptom reduction and initial therapeutic goals to help people more holistically.
- Reflect on and better understand how well you are doing and helping with some of your clients
- Learn how to obtain relevant/helpful client feedback on how well you are helping them
(Principal Clinical Psychologist + Clinical Director at Simon Turmanis & Associates, Clinical Psychologists)
Simon runs a Private Practice on Sydney’s Northern Beaches at Manly Vale, where he supervises and supports 5 other Psychologists engaged in therapy with children, adolescents and adults with a wide variety of presentations. Simon is also an experienced ACT and CBT therapist, having spent 15 years working with adults, adolescents, and children across a range of presentations in a range of
environments including inpatient and outpatient, across private and public treatment facilities. He has a specific passion in ACT and Compassion Focussed Therapy, having
trained with Paul Gilbert in 2014. He has an ongoing passion working within ACT, Schema and CFT frameworks.